Friday, June 12, 2009

Unbreaking the broken


It must be the Magic player in me, but I have been having super fun making lists of armies I don't own and may never buy/build/paint.

This morning I made a Daemons of Chaos list after having a conversation with the guys at the shop about whether an "unbroken" DoC list could be built. The main reason I did this is because I love the look and feel of the DoC models. I also think it's pretty nifty that you can use them in 40k, too.

Anyways, it seemed the consensus was DoC non-broken lists could be built but to be aware of certain unfair advantages DoC have. Also the consensus (which pretty much means Jose said so and no one argued with him) was that a list with a core unit from each of the for Chaos gods would be less likely to be broken.

While building this list, I also noticed that Daemons have some CRAZY magic banners and stuff. I avoided the cheesiest, when possible.

I should also mention that when I build lists, I'm always keeping in mind how much real-world money (as opposed to gil) it would cost to build an army. Since I'm permabroke, I try to keep things as conservative as possible.

Here's the 1000-pt list:

Skulltaker, el Generalisimo
Herald of Slaanesh BSB with the +d3 CR banner thingie, Torment blade (models that suffer a wound can't strike back that combat - good for Challenges but not supah crazy).
10 Daemonettes, full command (Herald goes here)
10 Bloodletters, full command, w/ Skull Totem (May Always March) (Skulltaker goes here)
10 Plaguebearers, full command
10 Pink Horrors, Iridescent Horror, full command

Totals up with four casting dice, four dispel dice. Not over the top by any estimation.

The temptation to build KRAZEENESS into a daemons list is there. Flipping through the army book it's hard not to feel a little sick to my stomach with some of the stuff in there. If Daemons are going to be THAT powerful, maybe they should cost TWICE as much in points. I mean seriously, a Bloodletter is cheaper than a Warrior of Chaos, almost as devastating in close combat, has a 5+ ward save, and they move super fast and with the Skull Totem could basically move 10 inches per turn AND STILL CHARGE. Yikes. All that for a 175-point, ten-daemon unit. Oh. And I forgot. They are Immune to Psychology and have that weird rule where they don't even have to take break tests (instead take wounds equivalent to how many points they lost CR by).

Anyways, blah blah blah I still like the models.

No comments: