Monday, June 1, 2009

Price hike!? It burns us!


I just popped over to Games-Workshop.com and suddenly remembered that a lot of things went up in price today. Yikes!

In reality, most of the price hikes aren't all that bad. I always say I want GW to stay in business and keep doin' what it does. And I still feel that way.

And also, most of the stuff I want didn't go up in price. Phew!!

To me the worst thing is the hike in the starter boxed sets. The "Battle for Skull Pass," "Assault of Black Reach" and "Mines of Moria" sets all went up from $60 to $75. As a beneficiary of the leftovers from 5 Skull Pass sets, I can see the logic in this. People were buying the sets over and over and building their forces for really cheap. So maybe the price boost is a bit of a deterrent? On the other hand, It's gonna be a lot harder to get Mommy to spend $75 on a weird game for Johnny that she's never seen before.

To be sure, the boxed sets are still terrific deals. In all of them you get tons of minis and great little rulebooks. I'm almost positive they are loss leaders for GW -- lose a little money on the first sale to make more sales later. I just hope those boxed sets keep selling, cuz to be honest, I love seeing all the little kids coming in the store with their overflowing boxes of half-painted Marines and Orks. And the cool thing is a few of them are girls!

Anyways, it doesn't burn so bad as it seemed it would.In the end, I just hope it turns out to be the best for GW, because that, in turn, will turn out to be the best for us gamerz.

No comments: