Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fluffy armies and the RPG aspect of Warhammer Fantasy

Whilst attempting to commit the Orcs 'n' Goblins Army Book to memory last night, I started to realize Warhammer Fantasy (and to some extent 40k) is very role-play-ey. I like that.

As I've written before, I'm a roleplayer-cum-wargamer. In the RPG world there is a continual debate about whether rules should enforce role playing. Many "hard core" old school RPG freaks like the idea. Late last year, I leaning in that direction myself. Then I pretty much stopped playing (or thinking about those things) cuz I got back into wargames.

After reading Gerrit's article about his Skaven list for the Doubles Tournament, and reading and rereading my OnG book, I realized that Warhammer Fantasy Battle has more rules enforcing role playing than Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition. *snicker*

Orcs 'n' Goblins start fighting with each other on a regular basis. Skaven sometimes shoot themselves. Chaos Warriors *must* accept and *issue* challenges whenever possible. There are probably dozens of other example that I can't think of right now.

Until today, I had been thinking of these rules things that add balance to the GW stable of games. To be sure, there are circumstances where these things make the metagame more fair. But it sunk into my thick skull last night that they really serve a higher power: FUN.

It's funny. I got back into Warhammer as something to do when I couldn't play D&D. And I'm having more fun -- and doing more actual role playing -- than I ever actually did playing RPGs.

So please, don't mind me if I mutter to myself whilst commanding Azhag the Slaughterer's army. I'm just getting into the part, ya see?

No comments: