Sunday, May 31, 2009

The return of Death Metal and music to Waaaagh! to


Down at the Seattle Battle Bunker the other day, there was a kid talkin' about learning how to play death metal.

DEATH METAL! YES! Kids are into death metal again these days! The circle is complete!

Anyways, I'm pretty sure Death-Metal Kid is almost exactly the age I was in 1988 when I bought this strange new game called "Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader" ("Dude, it's like that movie 'Wizards' -- magic and technology mixed!" At the time, I thought it was a role-playing game. And it kinda was, back then).

It made me think -- what music do ya'll like to WAAAAAGHgame to?

For me there is none better than Metal, the cheesier the better. Movie and vid-game soundtracks are excellent for the Bunker (dramatic yet low-key). But Metal rules the day when playing a pound-down at home.

My current fave for the waaaaghin' is Dragonforce, which is modern cheese metal, second to none. But for the graphic, I chose the obvious: Bolt Thrower. For the uninitiated, this band, their album names, and most of their songs are all Warhammer-inspired. Teenage 40k fans, if you don't know these bands, I'll hook you up. My fellow fogies, if you don't know the band then I'm pretty sure there's a rift in the space-time continuum we need to close up, stat. (But I'll still hook you up.)

So all you dice-headed, acrylic-paint-fume-addled, adolescent and post-adolescent gamers out there, chime in on your favorite muzak for the waaaaaghin'.

And if you loves tha rap, that's cool too. I likes me lots of rap. (I'm pretty sure Adam Samberg is an incarnation of either Gork or Mork).

And one more thing. This goes out to all our wounded toy soldiers: Peace to my Greenskins, wherever you are.

No comments: