Monday, July 20, 2009

Ogre League


This is an idea I've had for a little while. Mini Ogre battles.

As you all know, I have a zillion Ogres. And I have never failed to have fun playing with them, even though they like to run away from things like skeletons, zombies and night goblins. But they are always fun. And when I (or we, in the case of Gil and I) win, it feels so good.

Anyhoo, I gots a lot of them. Most of them are even painted! So I thought about having a night every so often where we throw down with Ogres. Split 'em up into little 500-pt teams and duke it out. Have a ladder. Etc. Blah blah blah.

The metagame would be interesting. What combo of Ogres would do best? How fast would the games go? What if we threw in some other creatures against Ogres?

I know that there are already rules for Pit Fighter, which feature an Ogre character. But that game is a little different from what I'm envisioning here. I'm envisioning pure Ogres with a little more Warhammer Fantasy rules. Heck, we could even boost it up to a few more points over time.

Mostly, I think it would be fun to see how other players field and play with Ogre armies. And while there are people who don't like to see similar armies play against each other, in this case it makes sense. Ogres like to fight almost as much as Greenskins. So it would make perfect sense for them to battle each other.

Anyways, it all goes back to my idea of having fun fast games in short evenings (like between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.). Maybe it would start as simple as one Ogre versus another. Maybe Pit Fighter rules are the best?

Anyways, that's my idea of the day. Maybe it's too big? Maybe we should just stick to Pit Fighter?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That actually sounds really interesting. Using the same list for everyone removes any balance issues for the small points values. - Jason R

Reynor said...

Exactly! People always about WHFB being "more like a chess game" but we all know that's not entirely true. This, however, would make it so.

Also, the awesome thing I've realized about Ogres -- they are challenging because they are perhaps the most tactically precise army in Fantasy.