Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Back to Orcs n Goblins... a new list


Sorry I haven't posted in a few days and all. Old news: Gil and I managed to take Best Overall at the 750-point ASB Doubles Tournament. We won due to Gil's excellent painting skillz and the fact that we had a blockbuster win (our only win) in the last game. Terrific tournament, fellow ASBers.

Anyways, I've been looking back into my Orcs n Goblins cuz I miss the green little bastiches and I also have like a gazillion of them so why notz? At first I thought about totally trying to eliminate Animosity by running only Animosity-less units. You know, things like Black Orcs, Giants, Uber-chariots, etc. Or by running Azhag the Slaughterer, who allows me to reroll all my animosity rolls of 1 -- essentially giving me way more control over the movement of my units.

Then I found a terrific website called Da Warpath. It's got a pretty active community of Orcs N Goblins playas. One thread is called "Ultimate Tournament List." I checked it out and one guy swears by this list. I have all the models on the list save two: A warboss on wyvern and a giant. Anyways, this list is (supposedly) the current top build for Orcs N Goblins. It seems a little risky to me though cuz there are some pretty spendy units (especially the easy-to-kill giant).

So here's the list. Personally I think it's as close to cheesy as you can get with Orcs N Goblins -- a list that, in my humble opinion, is not broken and that you'd have to try pretty hard to construct it in a broken way.

The list:

Black Orc Warboss on Wyvern
Shagga's Screamin' Sword
Enchanted Shield
Bigged's Kickin' Boots

Black Orc Boss on Boar BSB
Mork's Spirit Totem

23 Orc Boyz, Full Command (BSB goes here)
Light Armour
Shields

Goblin Big Boss on Wolf Chariot
Wollapa's One Hit Wunda
Triksy Trinket

Goblin Shaman
Dispel Scroll X deux (I know, I know...)

Night Gobbos X 25
2x fanatics
short bows

Night Gobbos X 25
2x fanatics
short bows

Goblin Wolfriders x 5
Musician

Goblin Wolfriders x 5
Musician

Goblin Wolf Chariot

20 Black Orcs, Full Command
Shields
Gork's Waaaagh!

4 x Spear Chukkas

Doom Diver Catapault

Giant

Anyways that's my list. I'm itching to play it -- mostly because I want to try and get a better hold on how to play my Orcs n Goblins. I don't think it will allow the kind of tactical maneuvering to the OnG that I was hoping for -- but it should be fun. Also, the Warboss on the Wyvern would be terrifically sweet for flying around fast, bolstering leadership where needed.

So far as the Blorcs are concerned, I know they are a points sink. But so are normal boyz due to low leadership. Babysitting them with a formidable warboss is kind of a shame. So this build allows the Warboss to fly around and fight (if needed) and the BSB babysits the boyz. Other than that, only the Gobbos suffer from animosity and well, they are cheap.

Oh Yeah, I posted the pic of the new Azhag model cuz it's super sweet. I probably will get the generic Warboss on Wyvern model before the new Azhag comes out in September, but I'll almost definitely get Azhag.

2 comments:

David Brender said...

Yay Azhag! Man, that model is super sweet.

I can't really comment on your list as a player. But honestly I don't think it's terribly cheese - I mean, you have so many types of units that it seems like a wonderful representation of the army as opposed to someone min maxing things... though maybe it is.

You should ask Jeff to construct a true cheese list for O&G, just so we have a comparison.

Reynor said...

Hey Dave thanks for the terrific comment. There's actually a thread on Da Warpath talking about whether it's even possible to super cheese out and Orcs 'n' Goblins list -- and the general consensus is that it's not. There's nothing in the way of "Treemonic Legions" or "Dwarf Gunline w/Organ Gun and Anvil" or "Empire Gunline w/two Steam Tanks." I guess on that level, I should be proud to play the army because almost regardless of my list composition, I can't (or at least shouldn't) have to put up with complaints of cheese. Anyvaays, peace out!