Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Field of Glory


Jake and I did some text dueling a week or so ago. The conversation went something like this:

Me: What do you like better, Warhammer or War of the Ring?
Jake: WOTR has some rules problems, Warhammer is totally unbalanced. I like the Fantasy models more. Pretty equal right now.

I think Jake summed it up pretty well. I haven't played 40k seriously in several years, but I'm thinking it may be the same level of unbalancedness.

But there's this other game. It's not Games Workshop at all. It's called Field of Glory. Historical. Ancient. Painstakingly balanced.

And did I mention you can build an 15 mm army for $60 to $100? Of course you can also play with 25 mm figs. (What would we use? Bretonnians? Empire?).

I'm planning on going up to Panzer Depot in Kirkland, the Eastside's friendly neighborhood historical wargame hangout, and learn the ropes of the game. The ruleset is reputed to be easy to grasp in a game or two. An excerpt from the book:

"Pick and army from a period of history that interests and enthuses you... as there are no "super armies" in Field of Glory..."

Kinda interesting what happens when game rules are published by a company that doesn't also manufacture miniatures for said game. :)

Oh, and they are making a videogame version for online folly.

And no magic!!!

So who's down?

No comments: